Background

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Chilean like a Villain

Ignore the completely irrelevant subject, I'm hilarious. 

Anyways, this week's shout out goes to 'Murica. Word. 

Oh and I have more than an hour for e-mails now and I'd sure love to hear from everyone! Letters are cool too, but e-mails are faster. Yay for spending large blocks of time on e-mails! But seriously, I'd love to hear from everyone!

Sorry this one is super long... The weather has been normal and it's great but soooo much has happened haha

"Despicable Me 2" came out this week, kudos to them on their advertising. They like synced everything to come out at the same time, it's genius. But anyways, I bought a box of Reese's Puffs (shout out to dorm 2101) and I got a minion key chain. Definitely one of the best days ever. So then I put it on my backpack. Duh that's where it goes. So then our recent convert sees it and goes "I LOVE DESPICABLE ME WHERE DID YOU GET THAT" and I was like "ISNT IT GREAT I GOT IT FROM A CEREAL BOX" and really it was just great. So she has a court date coming up, so we were like alright let's go get her one, get her baby one, I want the Mexican one, and Sister Slaughter wants one. We go to the store and literally they're all gone. It's like all the boxes with the toys inside were translated or something. The extent missionaries will go for their recent converts, let me tell you. We tried about 5 grocery stores until we found one that had them, but they were all honey nut cheerios. Yes, we did buy 4 boxes of honey nut cheerios that day. But the Lord will provide, even if it's just to find a toy haha

I got to grill this week! Kind of on accident/it was a misteak (haha get it). Our ward mission leader invited us over to his house for dinner on July 4th, and so we were helping cut things for our burgers. Then his wife is like "oh we should start the grill!" She hits the switches and leaves us out their with the burgers, and neither of us has grilled before. It got like way smokey, and I'm trying to flip the stupid patties that are somehow stuck to the grill now. Their 12 year old daughter runs out like "It's not supposed to be this smokey, what'd you do!" And we were like "uh. it was your mom." Anyways, she salvaged the cancer from the grill and it ended up being alright.

For July 4th we got to go to a parade! It was super fun. I got a coupon for free butter. And then they gave me a foam cow key chain. What is it with this week and key chains. Anyways, we were out "creating a presence" as my ward mission leader put it, and we were talking to members. We let all the kids have the candy, but the floats were pretty cool. Lots of fancy cars and what not, lots of stores, trains. I think my favorite was this kid who totally looked miserable cuz he was in this full body pig suit hahahaha. Or this episcopalian church that had like a burning theme. They had people dressed in charcoal bags and they had a girl on top of the float singing. And like the float was a grill. She was literally burning, in almost every sense of the word. It was still like 106 so she didn't even need a fire. Not that there was one. But my point is, people think Mormons are weird. And maybe we are, but at least we aren't crazy. I think it would have been way cool if we had gotten our own float and gotten members to hand out pass along cards and candy and stuff, it would've been so effective! And I don't know, maybe our float could be a giant Book of Mormon and we can hand out jello. We have a year to hash this out haha

And today we were going to go to Trader Joe's and the post office and Kohl's, but then we decided to go to Target first and forget half of those places. We were at Target, and the cashier just saw our tags and she goes, "Oh my goodness. I have a son and you guys minister to people right? Is there any way you can go see him? He's a great boy, he's just a little lost and I want you guys to talk to him." And we were like "We totally would, but we aren't over his area. We will give you the number for the elders, and they will be in contact with him soon!" Can you imagine what would happen if we had decided to go somewhere else? Or even if we had decided to go later? Either way, it was not a coincidence that we were at Target, at that time, in that checkout lane.

We have a new investigator. Her name's Annelise and she is 13. Her dad's a member and so is her step-mom. She is golden. She is so ready to get baptized and stuff buuuuuuut there are custody issues. Her mom's in Idaho and she has 100% custody and she's way Catholic... hopefully we get that worked out, because she is so awesome.

We are also teaching this guy named Baun, and he sort of fell away from the church for awhile, but now he wants to relearn everything and come back! He is so sweet. And so receptive, and he is so nice. I'm not that great at all the lessons yet, and we're basically practicing on him haha but he is really patient with us. Or me at least, my companion is awesome at it :)

Then there's Glendoris. She's kind of basically deaf so we have to yell. The other day, we went to her house and knocked on the door and rang the doorbell, and no one answered, but then the phone rang and she picked it up. Awkward. But she's a funny woman. Probably not intentionally. I just think it's really funny that she's got like 20 bajillion bottles on her driveway. No joke. But what's even funnier is that she doesn't drink, but she has these like cans of beer and bottles of wine. Apparently she can't bear the thought that they don't get recycled, but my companion says she is a hoarder. She could probably get like $100 for taking all those to. Where ever they say they'll pay you for recycling and that's a lot at 5 cents a piece. But she's really nice.

Overall, I just really like everyone here. Everyone's so nice. Like the person in charge of our dinners went out of town so we had no idea who was feeding us, but sooo many people offered to help. And one family went and burned us a whole bunch of Christian rock. It's interesting stuff actually, but it's so much better than David Archuleta allllll the time. Speaking of music, I acquired some music! Of course I bought a Taylor Swift CD. But there's also a Matchbox 20 CD and Sister Slaughter bought a Jonas Brothers CD. We got one song off Taylor Swift, 2 off the Matchbox 20, and 4 off the Jo Bros haha. I'm going to say it's worth it. Anything to hear Taylor's voice again... ;)

This week's thought: 12-step. It's the church's addiction recovery program, and it is so fantastic. We got to go, and it was so great. It should really be called the 12-steps to the atonement, because that's what it's centered on. You learn so much about yourself AND the atonement, and who doesn't want to learn more about either of those? If you get the chance to go to one, I strongly recommend it. The Spirit in that room was stronger than anything I've ever felt. I get chills typing about it right now. But this week's lesson was on hope. I love this topic so much, probably because a fair amount of my life was void of it. My favorite part was when we were reading in Psalms 23. It talks about leaning on Christ, and it says "walking through the shadows of death." The mediator pointed out that you can't have shadows without light. SO COOL RIGHT?? I had never thought about it, but really there's always hope. I figured somedays would be like looking for a silver lining on a day without clouds. But no, actually it's more like how you hear a word for the first time. It's everywhere after you've seen it once, you just have to pay attention. That's hope. It's a light in a dark place, it's a rope in a stormy sea, it's your bed after a long day of work. It's so awesome :)

I hope everyone's doing great!

Love,

Sister Kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment