Background

Monday, February 10, 2014

Happy Week of St. Valentine!

This week's shout out goes out to the lady from Benicia who payed for our lunch at Costco. You are the best. 
It was a long week, let me tell you. But it was good. 
I planted a tree this week. One of our less actives asked us to help her, so we went and Sister Underwood raked and I dug to plant a tree. It was actually really fun. She has been coming to church for the last couple weeks, which is so great. She is really noticing the change that comes with being obedient, and she was able to testify to us of the truth of it. So good. 
Met with the Kinghorn's, and Sister Kinghorn has basically a clothing business that's going off the charts. She's signed on with some pretty big names, which is incredible. The quality is great and she is quite the seamstress. But she's only been doing it for about a year and she said she's going to teach us how to make our own skirts. Haha. It'll be interesting. I probably really shouldn't be allowed to even touch a sewing machine, but we will see :) 
Speaking of skirts, Sister Higdon told us she bought one! And she said herself that now she has no reason not to go to church. She just won't do it if we tell her to haha she wants to do it on her own time. I knew she'd come around. I'm excited and nervous for it just because she is a very interesting woman. But I love her haha
So the Barney's that have a huge Norwegian dog... They're interesting. She doesn't really believe in religion, she thinks it's too much hatred, and he's a Jehovah Witness. He also backed into our car, but that's another story haha. Anyways we met with this family and they were super nice but they had a lot of things to say about their religion, about our religion, etc. We aren't really sure what to do because we aren't supposed to fight, but we are supposed to share the truth we know. 
Saw Bob, and met his friend Adrian, who tried to tell us what we believe. I hate when people tell me what I believe. It's like. I will tell you what I believe, you have no right to tell me what I believe. That being said, I took it upon myself it spiritually floor her. Which I did. Because despite what you think you know about someone or something, you're probably wrong. And if you're not open to hearing the truth or even actually knowing what they really know, then well. You should rethink some things. But Bob is doing alright, he's having a hard time because he decided to read after catarac surgery and now he's kind of suffering the consequences for not listening to his doctor. Personally I would have no interest in reading anyways, but he really does. He didn't come out to church, and he's having a really rough time :/ Hopefully things will start looking up for him soon though. 
We taught Warren, who told us that he wants evidence of everything and basically only believes the Bible and the trinity. I had a really hard time understanding him because he was so logical, yet he believes in the trinity. Anyone want to help me out on that? I can't really grasp that notion. But he was very nice, very open and he invited us back. He said, "If you guys know something that will get me into heaven, I'll be eternally grateful." Booyah. 
This ward has some of the cutest families. And the funniest. One mom was telling us that the Book of Mormon scares her because every time she reads it she feels like she's going to be damned. Legitimate excuse I guess. But it just threw us back a little. She's hilarious though, and we can't tell if she was kidding or not, but we treated her as if she wasn't kidding haha but these members are so good. They are starting to trust us and really work to work along side us. That's how it's supposed to be you know? We can't do it by ourselves as missionaries. Too many people are scared of the tag.

We got to see Elder Cook this week!!! Holy cow he is so cool. Our drive there was. Lets say I wasn't driving and we were with the Hermanas from El Salvador and Mexico and we probably should've died multiple times but by the good grace of God we made it there safely. We drove to San Francisco! Only it was so foggy out that we couldn't see squat! So it was kind of lame and super dangerous but it was so good. The whole mission was there, which was crazy. I loved it though. Elder Cook shook everyone's hand. EVERYONE. That's a ton of hands! The biggest thing I got from his message though, is "You are where you ought to be." It's so true. Where ever we are is where we need to be, and I firmly believe it. There is a reason for everything, be it good or bad, but that's where we need to be, and this is what we need to be doing. It was just really good to be able to hear him testify of that to confirm my own testimony, but I know that applies to everyone. 
Happy Valentine's Day! It's better to be single anyways!

Love
Sister Kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment