Background

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"Canada: The Land of Cold and Suffering"

This week's shout out goes out to my mom. No one else is going to send you a postcard with your face on it and quote you. If anything, this is a big lesson on being careful what you say, because you might find it on a postcard one day haha

So, picking up where I left off last week, the golden family. We were going over to a member's home for dinner, and they invited a family over. Turns out the mom was prompted to invite her friend Karen and the husband was concerned about the amount of food but did it anyways. Then, what happened was Karen and her two daughters show up and it was kind of really awesome. The daughters had been going to church with their friend in the family, and one of them prayed for the food! And then we talked with Karen and she has such a strong desire to be closer to God and to learn more. It was glorious. I don't think we deserved to have this happen at all, but God saw fit to bless us. So. Cool.

A lot of people have been down with this insane flu. Probably 1/5 doors has someone sick behind it. We aren't entirely sure what to do but good news! We are healthy. So we must be doing something right haha

Geoff and Joan are doing well. They asked us a ton of questions about Adam and Eve so that was nice that they finally opened up. She fed us lunch, which was very nice. She's so awesome. I feel like she treats us like her grandchildren. That or she's fattening us up so she can eat us later. I kid, I kid. But I think for the first time they actually contemplated praying. Which is HUGE considering they have straight up said no the past couple times but this time it was like "...ehhhh" so it was great. I can see them having a good time praying :) I mean, why wouldn't you have a good time?


We picked up a former investigator. His name is Jason. We're starting to find that well. So I guess he got out of prison a year ago, he's still on parole, knows the Bible inside and out and backwards. But he's not really wanting to learn. He just wants to teach us, but the question is always, "Is this going to get me into heaven?" Because if it's not, why are we lingering on it? And I guess it's important to him, so it should be important to us, but I don't know. He's a tough one, let me tell you. And he fell asleep while Sister Underwood was talking haha. He considers himself Jewish but he accepts Jesus Christ. Which I guess I can kind of see, but the Jews killed Jesus...

Taught a pretty awkward family. Mom is a member, dad isn't, teenage son and daughter. Surprisingly, the non member dad was more open to listening than the rest of them. We aren't really sure where to go next because it doesn't really seem like they were too keen on us coming back, but who knows. We asked if anyone had read and prayed about the Book of Mormon, and they all said no, so we were shocked. I guess we expected someone to be doing it, at least the mom to have done it, but no. We are working hard though, and I'm sure there is an end in sight, we just need to find the tunnel.

So the Lee's are probably one of my top 3 favorite families in this ward. The other night we needed a house to teach at and she opened up her house. She's seriously the best. And then yesterday in sacrament meeting, she got up and she goes, "Well, are we all ready to go home now and have some afternoon fun?" It was hilarious. And she comes on splits with us. And she's really just great. And she invited us over for her superbowl party haha but someone had already invited us over for dinner/their superbowl party, so that was fun. They were nice, they paused the TV when we came over. The food was great though. Superbowl food is way good. And totally awful for you, but that doesn't matter haha

Bob. He got cataract surgery, so he shouldn't be reading, but he did and couldn't come to church because he was in a ton of pain. But he still went to church with his friend, so we're kind of like "..what's going on here" We had a really great lesson with him though. Our member told him a lot of really complicated things, so I was trying to figure out which to touch on first and simplify, but ultimately I just needed to simplify baptism for him. The spirit was so strong and he finally got it. He was like "I finally get it, and I know what you said is true because I feel it" Booyah. Hopefully that helps him out, he's still struggling with his faith, and considering he wasn't listening to the doctor, he might have to wait awhile, but I'm hopeful :)

This Sunday we got to participate in a statewide fast for rain! So basically we all didn't eat for 2 meals and prayed together for rain. As a state. And it was pretty instantaneous because it was raining Sunday. Thing is, it's not easy to call a statewide fast for rain. You definitely need a ton of approval for that, which requires months of planning, which means the prophet saw the need for rain already and here we are fasting and now it's really happening. It also snowed up on the mountain, which was neat. But immediate answers to prayer! And how blessed are we to have a prophet who knows exactly what we need and when we need it. So blessed, like seriously. And prayer is so powerful. God is so mindful and he's always listening and I'm always amazed at what He does. And we don't even know the things that could be happening but don't because we've been blessed!

Love you all and miss you :) If you miss me too, I can arrange for a postcard of my face to be sent to you hahaha
Sister Kwan

And the theme for this week's pictures is... small animals! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment