Background

Thursday, February 20, 2014

"The Mormon Situation" - (Feb 17, 2014)

This week's shout out goes out to Penny, who's 4, and reads the Book of Mormon because "it's the only book I can read where people's heads get cut off." 
Karen and her family met with us and we had like the best dinner ever. After pizza, that is. She made the best mashed potatoes... ever. And she made brussel sprouts and everyone ate them because they were yummy. She is that good. Her husband was a little resistant to the message, but he was open to reading, as was she, so that was good :) 
So this week I was able to confirm again that everything happens for a reason. About 2 weeks ago, someone hit our car. As a result, we needed to find a way to get it to Oakland to get fixed. However, the opportunity did not arise until a couple days ago. So we traded our Cruze for a Malibu, which is a boat compared to our little Chevy Cruze. Anyways, we had volunteered to help a member move, and we showed up to the house and no one's there. We were about to leave, when our member's mom shows up and lets us in. What happened then was that we packed up rooms in the house... by ourselves because she had to leave. But it was all good. And we got some good pictures! But we realized that there's no way we could've fit all the things we packed into the car. We didn't have the foresight to do all that, but guess who did? Yup. 
Bob told us he thought Joseph Smith had a really plain name for an angel. That was a really odd moment haha but we were able to sort of help him sort it out. We printed some things out for him to look at. Hopefully it helps him, the thing is, is that he still refuses to come to church and stuff and we can't get him to do things he doesn't want to do. And thus we see that agency is, in fact, very real. 

Had Greek food with this family, and their children are like Energizer bunnies. It's funny though, because their oldest daughter, Sydney, who's 3 sees us in church and her jaw drops. She tugs on her mom's skirt and she's like "MOM IT'S THE MISSIONARIES" and I mean, I'm not sure where she thinks we go on Sunday's, but clearly it wasn't church hahah we were really spoiled with food this week. We had pizza twice. That was our Valentine's Day dinner, which was awesome. I guess it was a great week to be a missionary in the  Clayton Valley 2nd ward!

So I guess I've never really explained what I've been doing in the whole 8 months that I've been here haha. Ultimately, my purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. And that's all I do, ultimately. I knock doors, I talk to people, I teach people. I start at 6:30 AM and go to bed at 10:30 PM everyday. We study for 2 hours in the morning, eat lunch, head out and work, and then we eat dinner at 5 and keep going. Not gonna lie, it's hard. It's discouraging. It drains you. If you don't get rejected at least once during the day, you aren't doing your job. Some days, we sit here like, "What in the world did we get ourselves into." And now the question is, why do we stay? Why would anyone sign themselves up for rejection on a regular basis and keep doing it? The answer is quite simple, really. It's because this matters. This will help me more than movies. More than Taylor Swift. More than the shore. More than anything. And even then, it's not about me. It's about everyone else. We're all brothers and sisters. We're here to help each other. And despite my flaws and imperfections, I know that I'm here for a reason. I am where I ought to be. There are people out there who need to hear this message and I've been blessed to be the one to take it to them. There's no place I'd rather be. 

I love you all!

Sister Kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment