Background

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Prayers and Painkillers

This week's shout out goes out to all the missionaries on bike. I don't know how you do it, but holy cow. 

So the title and the shout out all go together, but I'm going to save that for the end because that's like the best and worst part of the week. 

525,600 minutes. That's right. That's a year (says Rent). And that's happening June 5th. It's kind of crazy to believe that it's been so long! We're definitely on the downhill and I can feel it. Time flies so quickly. 

A member referred us to her neighbor, Marilyn. Little did we know that her family would be so open! I missed the lesson because I was on exchanges in the Spanish program, but it sounded like it was wonderful. Honestly, they sound so prepared. She wants to fix her marriage and get her kids involved in a church. And she asked us for a priesthood blessing. Who does that?? She's so awesome. They have a strong testimony of prayer and they have great family values. I'm super stoked to meet with them!

Meanwhile, I was on exchanges with an unnamed Hermana. It's kind of crazy sitting there and hearing a lesson in another language and then have them all turn to you. I just decided to smile. And bear my testimony. But that was really my only contribution haha it was fun though! The reason I'm leaving her unnamed is because I kind of have a bone to pick with her. We start the exchanges in a meeting where we talk about what we want to work on, and one of the Sister Trainers says, "You know, I feel prompted to say this, but we don't need to be cookie cutter missionaries. We can be ourselves AND be obedient." I liked that. A lot. However, the other Sister Trainer, who I was with, did not understand that. I HATE when people are fake. I can't deal with that. And so it was kind of an uncomfortable exchange because I was on my toes the whole time. I'll probably still get in a little bit of trouble because well. If you squeeze a tube of toothpaste, you can't put it back in, right? :) 

So here's the best part. This week, I overcame my fears and rode a bike. It's literally been at least 10 years. If you don't know why, you should definitely consider asking me sometime, because it's a good story. The Elders needed to take our care to Oakland, so we figured. Eh. We need to work. Let's do it. At least now I know that I'm in a lot better shape than I thought. And who ever said stationary bikes are anything like real life? That was a lie. So this trip is supposed to be 6 miles round trip. However, no one said anything about it being completely uphill. And we got lost. And it was way hot. And thus we set out to go and do service. Luckily we got to wear shorts, because the bike was too big for me. We did it, and we survived. Partially. 



That night, we get to dinner and my legs start tingling. It started in my knees and went up into my thighs. And when we got home that night I literally thought I was going to die. At that point, I felt like if I cut off my legs, I'd probably be in better shape, because it hurt like. I can't even compare, but either way, it was more than anything I've ever known. And there I was, dying. And I got down and started kneeling to pray, and I said, "Heavenly Father. I know you know how much this hurts, so I hope you know how much I need help right now too." And so I prayed. And we got some painkillers too. But the next morning, I woke up and holy cow. It was as if nothing's happened. Ever. No pain. At all. And I haven't felt any since. Which really shows the power of prayer. It's never worked so quick for me, but when I needed it, there it was. How blessed we are.

Love you all

Sister Kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment