Background

Monday, August 26, 2013

Everything I know, I don't (Aug 12, 2013)

                                    Sister Kwan, Sister Slaughter, Bro. & Sis. Lloyd, Elder Beck, Elder Bradshaw



This week's shout out goes out to whoever came up with the tetanus vaccine. It's a pain in my arm, but if I didn't have it, I'd be tetanus-ing all over the place now. And also Katherine, who I think is getting married this week. Yay for eternal commitment

It was a week of miracles. And not like pizza from heaven, but of people. Literally, I'm on exchanges and we are in the middle of watching one of the videos from "The District" (highly recommend it) and the phone rings. I pick it up, and this member says, "There's a man here and he just walked over here because he wants to know about the gospel." And I was like "KEEP HIM THERE WE'RE COMING" so we're out the door and we taught the first lesson! Honestly, how many times does God lead a person to the chapel to teach? Mind blown. It was great. Exchanges are great. Life is great.

I went on another exchange up in Northgate, and it was fantastic. It kind of reminded me of Norristown (Yeah for the homeland). The people there are so humble. This woman who was bipolar and didn't have enough money for a divorce gave us tights and bath salts. When you have nothing to give but you're still giving, that is really something. People like her keep me going, seriously. We had a lot of success in that area and their ward council is super great at helping the work go forth. 

Ok so the tetanus. I'm not sure if we've talked about Wendy, but I'll just recap like a bad episode of Glee. This woman is 48 and is taking care of a 60-ish year old man who drinks from 10am to 10 pm everyday. He drives and he walks around drunk and really it is just not ok but she can't stop him or he will probably hurt her. He already has a couple times. But if she doesn't watch him, no one will. Wendy is fantastic. She is so driven (and maybe a bit crazy). She's covering her lawn with 3 feet of mulch, so we are helping her. We went over one day, and there's this 100+ lb rock on her front lawn and this woman. She didn't even need us to help, she basically did it herself. She's a force to be reckoned with. Then the other day we went over and she wanted us to help install a sink. I looked at it and said it wouldn't work, but there's no stopping her. So we took apart her whole sink and she was like "oh wait. this isn't going to work" and I just sort of nodded. This sink was super rusty and I came out of it with some small cuts on my hand. I don't really know what tetanus is like but I don't think I have it? That day we realized how dangerous missions are. We walk into random people's homes and teach them but like. We walked into Wendy's bathroom and there was a knife on the counter. Didn't question it. Should've, but didn't. Anyways, we love Wendy. Sister Slaughter told her I need to practice the discussions and she volunteered. As tribute. Little does she know we're actually like saving her soul. Ha. 

Then there's Glendoris, our recycling superhero who's been investigating the church for 30+ years. I got the prompting to invite her to a baptism so I did. She's never been to one. And I was like WHAT 30 YEARS AND YOUVE NEVER BEEN. But she went. She is getting closer everyday, I can feel it. Even if we aren't the ones that find a way in to talk to her, I'm not going to give up. We find excuses to go over like "hey we just found these bottles for you!" but actually we've been like buying drinks so we have an excuse to go over. Love your missionaries. They're trying so hard haha. Service and love are seriously the best. I've weeded so many gardens and painted so many fences over the past couple weeks but I love it. It's so much fun. I'm a dork haha but it's so great. 

I think there are spiritual thoughts weaved throughout this whole thing but I'll just give you one more. At church this guy just got back from his mission and he was saying how we all have personal trials. I can testify of that, like you have no idea. Anyways, he was saying how awesome God is for personalizing our trials. I mean I guess if I had someone else's trials, I wouldn't care because they wouldn't be trials. But then I have my own trials and I'm like pounding my head into the wall over them. But, God has promised that we won't be tested above what we can handle. And I'm sorry if this is a repeat thought, but I can't remember things really well. Oh well

I hope you all are doing great! 

Love and peace and unicorns

Sister Kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment